Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Post-Cinco de Mayo Celebration: Pulled Chicken Tacos

Pin It With my last (hopefully) CFA exam looming, I have been unable to find the time away from studying.  But in an effort to keep my hordes of readers (and by hordes, I mean, three) interested, I'm writing about my new favorite Mexican dish to make at home. I've made the barbecue pulled chicken from a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com (I can't seem to find it now, though).  I thought I'd put a Mexican twist by adding my standard spices. It was delicious!  And I made enough to do chicken and cheese enchiladas (along with some leftover turkey chili) tonight.  But that will be for another post.


 For the Chicken:

4 chicken breasts (can be frozen)
1/2 c molasses based barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/2 c Italian salad dressing
water
ground cumin
chili powder
onion powder
granulated garlic
ground paprika
ground cayenne (this is very spicy, so use according to your taste)
black pepper

Line the chicken breasts on the bottom of a slow cooker. Add barbecue sauce and Italian dressing.  To make sure there's sufficient liquid covering up to half the chicken breasts, add water.  Add seasonings. Basically, cover the exposed part of the chicken breast with the seasonings.  Use thongs to turn the chicken over to make sure that all sides get in contact with the sauce and seasoning.  Cover and cook on low for at least 3 hours if chicken is thawed and around 6 hours if frozen. Pull or shred the chicken and mix so that it absorbs the juices.  The chicken will be so tender, you will not have a hard time shredding it.  This, of course, can also be done on very low heat on the stove top as long as you're planning on staying inside the house for the duration of the cook time.

Taco:

soft corn tortilla (Love the flavor of this and I discovered they don't have as much sodium as the flour tortilla.  The ones I get actually had no sodium!)
greens (can be shredded cabbage or lettuce.  I used baby spinach just because it was all I had)
salsa (in this case, I used my ever dependable mango salsa.  Recipe in the burrito post.)
sour cream
shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend, but use any cheese you want.)

Warm the tortillas in a 300-degree oven for about 3 minutes on each side.  I like to layer my taco as such:  sour cream, greens, chicken, salsa, then cheese. We also like to add some Frank's Red Hot sauce for an extra punch. Serve and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. 4 naman ang readers mo. unless you are counting me already! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks noel! :) happy to know you check it out...

      Delete
  2. Make that 5! Ang galing naman ni Leanne - CFA na, PhD pa, master chef pa =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! working on the master chef thing... baka mas may future ako dun. :)

      Delete