Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Quick Fix to a Weird Top Length

Pin It
This is the After.
I got a top/dress at Target years ago and I've used it once.  The dress almost looks like a mumu because of its awkward length.  It was probably made for taller people as a tunic top, so it just doesn't work for my height.  The halter neckline has some interesting embroidery that just made me hesitant to get rid of it.  I've finally figured out a simple solution: elastic!

Measure length from your armpit to your waistline.  Now measure from the armpit of the top to 2 inches longer than the first measurement. Mark and cut across.  So for instance, if the length from your armpit to the waistline is 13 inches, then cut 15 inches below the armpit of the garment. 


Fold hem about 1/2 inch and sew.


Cut a slit inside the hem to insert elastic.


I used a 1/4-inch elastic and measured 2 inches less than my waistline. So if your waistline is 24 inches (good for you!), then the length of your elastic should be 22 inches.  You don't want it too short unless you want to feel like a sausage.  Attach a safety pin to one end while holding onto the other end of the elastic.  Try to keep the elastic flat as you snake it through the hem. Sew the ends of the elastic together.


Distribute the fabric along the elastic, making sure that the elastic is flat throughout.  Sew the elastic in place on either side of the hem.


Enjoy your new summer top!  This project seriously took much less time than writing this tutorial--10 minutes tops.  The quickest I've done so far!



No comments:

Post a Comment